Before booking your package deal abroad with a travel agent, it really is worth spending 5 minutes researching online to see if you can book your own cheap flight and save money. This article where and how to get cheap flights.
Here are 5 top tips to save £s on flights:
- Compare flights online to pick up the best deals – If you know when and where you want to go, then don’t go directly to an airline; use a price comparison site to get the best deal very quickly. SkyScanner.com is my favourite – the site searches over 1,200 airlines and travel sites in total with budget flights being very popular on the site.
- Book off-peak flights if you can – Sometimes if it is impossible to avoid school holidays, but if you can, you should. Outside school holidays, research has shown Tuesdays and evenings (after 6 pm) are generally the cheapest time to fly, while Saturdays are the most expensive. If you have some flexibility, play around with arriving and departure fight days and times, to save even more.
- Be careful of extra airline costs – Need extra leg room? Want to book an exact seat? Want to bring a big suitcase? Low-cost airlines like EasyJet and Ryanair will charge a hefty sum for these additions. Sometimes it is worth paying an extra £20 to fly with a more premium airline and you can then enjoy a complimentary drink and avoid a “night bus with wings” journey.
- Look at the cost and time to get to the airport – Sometimes the extra cost and time to get to an airport negate the saving. Before committing to a flight, review airport parking charges or train prices on trainline.com. E.g. If you live in central London, it is actually easier and cheaper to train to London City airport, then going to London Luton or London Stansted.
- Beware of the time of your flight landing and taking off – Most major cities don’t have 24/7 public transport, 7 days a week. Be careful when booking early flights for 7 am (2 hours check in before, would mean a 5 am arrival) or late arrivals past 12 am, as you are likely to need to rely on a taxi/uber service to get you to and from home.
Hope these flight tips have been useful. If you have any others, please share below.