Octopus Energy is a renewable eco-friendly energy company providing gas and electricity. Starting only in 2015, Octopus Energy has over 1.5 million UK customers and is growing steadily. In this article, I provide a refer a friend offer with a £50 joining bonus (disclaimer: £50 goes to me too) and show you some simple steps to sign up.
Why join Octopus Energy?
- Good referral incentives (If you refer someone, you get £50 and they get £50 too)
- 100% renewable energy (not many energy companies are this)
- The ability to cancel your contract any time, with no exit fees at any time (This is good, as most companies do have £50 + exit fees in place)
- No disruption to your electricity and gas supply. They’ve will inform your current supplier & do the energy switch on your behalf
- No Engineer or installer visits needed
- Top customer service – Octopus Energy can be contacted quickly by phone, email or even social media
The Octopus Energy tariffs
As of October 2021: Typical tariffs are competitive and are managed online and paid via direct debit. Since the energy crisis, here are two tariffs to pick from.
Octopus 12 Months Fixed – The most popular
- Available to single rate electricity and Economy 7 customersThis tariff features 100% renewable electricity and fixes your unit rates and standing charge for 12 months. There are no exit fees, so if you change your mind, you’re in control.
- Electricity unit rate 34.51p /kWh and standing charge is 23.30p /day
- Gas unit rate 10.70p /kWh and standing charge 26.10p /day.
Loyal Octopus Fixed 12 Months – The cheapest
- This tariff features 100% renewable electricity and fixes your unit rates and standing charge for 12 months. There are no exit fees, so if you change your mind, you’re in control.
- Electricity unit rate 23.61p /kWh and standing charge 23.30p /day
- Gas unit rate 7.35p /kWh and standing charge 26.10p /day
Octopus Energy prices
For a low gas and electricity user, £30-40 a month is not unexpected. Simply join up here and compare your current kWh costs with your current provider.
Octopus Energy app
Octopus Energy phone number
In an emergency, call 0808 164 1088, between 9am and 5pm Monday to Thursday, or 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday. Email [email protected] for quick help between 8am and 10pm every day.
Joining up to Octopus Energy
Joining up to Octopus Energy can take less than 5 minutes. Firstly, go on Octopus Energy and add your postcode. Then add in your typical electricity and gas usage and ask for a quote. Finally fill in your personal details and your payment details, then the change over is all set.
Octopus Energy Review
For an in-depth review of Octopus Energy, please read my review on the pros and cons of Octopus Energy.
Octopus Energy Refer a friend offer
Octopus Energy Business offer
Octopus Energy also does electricity and gas for business. If you are looking to change supplier or have just moved office space and want a new one, join up now. Get a £100 referral bonus (we both get £100) for changing suppliers.
When do you get your Octopus Energy referral credit?
The whole process takes approximately 4 weeks. The credit is paid once you are signed up and your first month’s direct debit has been successfully taken. Finally, I hope the above content has been useful. In summary, I’d give Octopus Energy a go, they are renewable, competitively priced and give you the ability to refer friends and family to get £50 for both of you.
Why have energy prices increased so much?
There has been a worldwide shortage of gas and energy supplies, pushing the cost of gas for suppliers. A boost by 250% since the start of the year, with a 50% rise just since August, data shows. According to the BBC, the cold winter in Europe last year put pressure on supplies and, as a result, stored gas levels are much lower than normal. Plus, there’s been increased demand from Asia (which also suffered a cold winter) for liquefied natural gas. Higher gas prices have also pushed up electricity prices because Britain generates around a third of its electricity from burning natural gas.
How to reduce gas and electricity bills at home
According to Energy Saving Trust, we can all save an extra £30 a year by turning off appliances when we’re not using them, rather than leaving them on standby. For more tips, please read the top tips to reduce gas and electricity bills in the UK.
Other referral codes
*Enjoy a free coffee, free beer and almost a free pizza on me with some free codes to enter.
*Feast on £20 off your first Hellofresh order, tasty ingredients delivered to your door for fine meals.
*Earn an impressive £50 joining bonus with ethical energy company Octopus Energy in the review article.
*Rent out your spare space with Stashbee and get £50.
*Grab a free share (up to the value of £200) when joining up to FreeTrade.
*Remortgaging or looking at a first-time mortgage? Enjoy a £100 amazon voucher when using the Trussle mortgage site.